Hey Peeps! Here we come with another grand episode of knowing about Excel 2016 navigation, Tabs and Some Simple Formulas. The Recommendation viewers for this post is for the beginners, But Wait don’t go away yet, an advance user could find some thing interesting here as well 🙂
Great, So now lets Get on to the Topic,
The Easiest Way to Make a beginner understand is through Image explanation, Go through the below Images and see what you can learn about the Navigation.
Alright, Now Enough Watching The Screenshots, Lets Get on with a video that explain some of the basics of Excel.
Now That We know about the basic Identification, Lets Talk about some more on this Topic.
LET’S GET TO KNOW ABOUT THE RIBBON SUB TABS
- Clipboard – This Clipboard Group is primarily used for Cut copy and paste. This means that if you want to transfer data from one place to another, you have two choices, either COPY (preserves the data in the original location) or CUT (deletes the data from the original location). Also there are options of Paste Special, which implies copy in a desired format. We will discuss the details of these later in the Excel tutorials. There is also Format Painter which is used to copy the format from the original cell location to the destination cell location.
- Fonts – This font group within the Home tab is used for choosing the desired Font and size. There are hundreds of fonts available in the dropdown which we can use for. In addition, you can change the font size from small to large depending on your requirement. Also helpful is the feature of Bold (B), Italics (I) and Underline (U) of the fonts.
- Alignment – As the name suggest this group is used for alignment of tabs – Top, Middle or Bottom alignment of text within the cell. Also, there are other standard alignment options like Left, middle and right alignment. There is also an orientation option that can be used to place the text vertically or diagonally. Merge and Center can be used to combine more than one cells and place its content in the middle. This is great feature to use for table formatting etc. Wrap text can be used when there is lot of content in the cell and we want to make all the text visible.
- Number – This group provides options of displaying number format. There are various number formats available – General, accounting, percentage, comma style etc. You can also increase and decrease the decimals using this group.
- Styles – This is an interesting addition to Excel. You can have various styles for cells – Good, Bad and Neutral. There are other set of styles available for Data and Model like Calculation, Check, Warning etc. In addition, you can make use of different Titles and Heading options available within Styles. Format Table allows you to quickly convert the mundane data into aesthetically pleasing data table. Conditional formatting also useful to format cells based on certain pre defined conditions. These are very helpful to spot the patters across an excel sheet.
- Cells – This group is used to modify the cell – its height and width etc. Also, you can hide and protect the cell using Format Feature. You can also insert and delete new cells and rows from this group.
- Editing – This group within the Home Tab is useful for Editing the data on excel sheet. The most prominent of the commands here is the Find and Replace Command. Also, you can use the sort feature to analyze your data – sort from A to Z or Z to A or you can do a custom sort here.
- Tables – This group provides a superior way to organize the data. You can use Table to soft, filter and format the data within the sheet. In addition, you can also use Pivot Tables to analyze complex data very easily. We will be using Pivot Tables in our later tutorials.
- Illustrations – This group provides a way to insert pictures, shapes or art work into excel. You can insert the pictures either directly from the computer or you can also use Online Picture Option to search for relevant pictures. In addition, shapes provide additional ready made square, circle, arrow kind of shapes that can also use in excel. SmartArt provides an awesome graphical representation to visually communicate data in the form of List, organizational charts, venn diagram to process diagrams. Screenshot can be used to quickly insert a screenshot of any program that is open on the computer.
- Apps – You can use this group to insert an existing App into excel. You can also purchase an App from the Store section. Bing Maps app allows you to use the location data from a given column and plot it on Bing Maps. Also there is new feature called People Data which allows you to transform boring data into an exciting one.
- Charts – This is one of the most useful features in Excel. It helps you visualize the data in graphical format. Recommended charts allow Excel to come up with the best possible graphical combination. In addition, you can make graphs on your own and excel provides various options like Pie-chart, Line Chart, Column Chart, Bubble Chart, combo chart, Radar Chart, and Pivot Charts.
- Sparklines – Sparklines are mini charts that are made on the number data and can be displayed with this cells. There are different options available for sparklines like Line Sparkline, Column Sparkline and Win/Loss Sparkline. We will discuss this in detail in later posts.
- Filters – There are two types of filters available – Slicer allows you to filter the data visually and can use to filter tables, pivot tables data etc. Timeline filter allows you to filter the dates interactively.
- Hyperlink – This is a great tool to provide hyperlinks from the excel sheet to an external URL or files. Hyperlinks also use to create a navigation structure with the excel sheet that is easy to use.
- Text – This group is used to text in the desired format. For example, if you want to have the header and footer, you can use this group. In addition, wordart allows you to use different styling for text. You can also create your signature using the Signature line feature.
- Symbols – This primarily consists of two parts – a) Equation – this allows you to write mathematical equations that we cannot ordinarily write in Excel sheet. 2) Symbols are special character or symbols that we may want to insert in the excel sheet for better representation
PAGE LAYOUT TAB
- Themes – Themes allow you to change the style and visual look of excel. You can choose of various styles available from the menu. You can also customize the colors, fonts and effects in excel workbook.
- Page Setup – This is an important group primarily used along with printing an excel sheet. You can choose margins for the print. In addition, you can choose your printing orientation from Potrait to Landscape. Also, you can choose the size of paper like A3, A4, Letter head etc. Print area allows you to see the print area within the excel sheet and is helpful to make the necessary adjustments. We can also add a break where we want the next page to begin in the printed copy. Also, you can add a background to the worksheet to create a style. Print Titles is like a header and footer that we want them to be repeated on each printed copy of the excel sheet.
- Scale to Fit – You can use this option to strech or shrink the printout of the page to a percentage of the original size. You can also shrink the width as well as height to fit in a certain number of pages.
- Sheet Options – Sheet options is another useful feature for printing. If we want to print the grid, then we can check the print gridlines option. If we want to print the Row and column numbers in the excel sheet, we can also do the same using tihs feature.
- Arrange – Here we have different options for objects inserted in Excel like Bringforward, Send Backward, Selection Pane, Align, Group Objects and Rotate.
- Function Library – This is a very useful group contain all the formulas that one uses in excel. This group is sub divided into important functionss like Financial Functions, Logical Functions, Date & Timing, Lookup & References, Maths and Trignometry and other functions. One can also make use of Insert Function capabilities to insert the function in a cell.
- Defined Names – This feature is a fairly advanced but useful feature. User can use this feature to name the cell and these named cells can be called from any part of the worksheet without working about its exact locations.
- Formula Auditing – You may use this feature for auditing the flow of formulas and its linkages. It can trace the precedents (origin of data set) and can also show which data set is dependent on this. You can also use Show formula to debug errors in the formula. Watch window is also useful function to keep a tab on their values as you update other formulas and data set in the excel sheet..
- Calculations – By default the option selected for calculation is automatic. However, one can also change this option to manual.
- Get External Data – You can use this option to import external data from various sources like Access, Web, Text, SQL Server, XML etc.
- Power Query – This is an advanced feature and is used to combine data from multiple sources and present it in the desired format.
- Connections – This feature is used to refresh the excel sheet when the data in the current excel sheet is coming from outside sources. You can also display the external links as well as edit those links from this feature.
- Sort & Filter – This feature can be used to sort the data from AtoZ or Z to Z and also you can filter the data using the drop down menus. Also, one can choose advanced features to filter using complex criterias
- Data Tools – This is another group which is very useful for advanced excel users. One can create various scenario analysis using Whatif analysis – Data Tables, Goal Seek and Scenario Manager. Also, one can convert Text to Column, remove duplicate and consolidate from this group.
- Forecast – This Forecast function used to predict the values based the historical values.
- Outline – One can easily present the data in an intuitive format using the Group and Ungroup options from this.
- Proofing – Proofing is an interesting feature in Excel that allows you to run spell checks in the excel sheet. In addition to spell checks, one can also make use of thesaurus if you to find the right word. There is also a research button that helps you navigate encyclopedia, dictionaries etc to perform tasks better.
- Language – If you need to translate your excel sheet from English to any other language, then you can use this feature.
- Comments – Comments are very helpful when you want to write an additional note for important cells. This helps user understand clearly the reasons behind your calculations etc.
- Changes – If you want to keep track of the changes made, then one can use Track Changes option here. Also, you can protect the worksheet or the workbook using a password from this option.
- Workbook Views – You can choose the viewing option of the excel sheet from this group. You can view the excel sheet in the default normal view or you can choose Page Break view, Page Layout view or any other custom view of your choice.
- Show – You can use this feature to show or not show Formula bars, grid lines or Heading in the excel sheet.
- zoom – Sometimes an excel sheet may contain lot of data and you may want to change zoom in or zoom out desired areas of the excel sheet.
- Window – New window is a helpful feature which allows the user to open the second window and work on both at the same time. Also freeze panes is another useful feature that allows to freeze particular rows and columns such that they are always visible even when one scrolls to the extreme positions. You can also split the worksheet into two parts for separate navigation.
- Macros – This is again a fairly advanced feature and you can use this feature to automate certain tasks in Excel Sheet. Macros are nothing but a recorder of actions taken in excel and it has the capability to execute the same actions again if required.
Alright Guys, I hope you had a Fantastic Time Reading The Whole lot of information. Thanks Guys! See you in another article!